What is burn-in process?
Burn-in is a process done to electronic components prior to regular use to detect failure and ensure reliability.
This is done by running a power supply through the electronics at an elevated temperature continuously for many hours. … Many failures occur during the early stages of operational life (infant mortalities).
What causes circuit boards to burn?
A high voltage protection diode protects the board from burning in the event of a lightning strike or other voltage surges. …
If the board connections are hooked up incorrectly or attached to the wrong type of power supply, leading to eventual burn out.
Your Best BIB Board Supplier
Venture is one of the biggest manufacturing industries all over the world. We supply high-standard BIB boards as your solid partner in business. We are experts at sourcing the best quality of PCB considering BIB board. The Venture BIB board is being used in burning process. BIB board of Venture is emphasized because it uses very great heat to feature any failures.
Venture have engineers who are checking and inspecting the BIB board to make sure that it can be yours with best working functions without any problem. The burn in process of BIB board operates with a temperature of 125°C – 250°C or up to 300°C. Ele ajuda o BIB board be greatly durable.
Just check out Ventures website or email us if you really need high-quality BIB boards. We can give you the best service, stress-free purchasing products like BIB board. Venture creates different types and sizes of BIB board for every applicable component.
Your Leading BIB Boards Supplier in China
Venture is your improving manufacturer of any types of PCB mainly BIB boards. From the last 10 years of successful supplying BIB boards, we are continuously giving and sourcing upgraded PCBs specifically BIB boards. We are maintaining our good operating services to our beloved clients and more. You can always trust Venture`s BIB boards.
We created BIB boards that entertain sockets that take in the tested specific device and designs to endure the hot temperature at the same time testing. When the electric signals and power are tested to a specific device, the BIB boards process checks its reliability. These Venture BIB boards can be inserted inside the burn in oven which produce essential voltages during the time the oven keeps the temperature of about 125ºC.
Venture added some factors that may include for the best selecting high reliability and best quality of BIB boards and test socket. Venture makes sure that we use high-grade materials in making our BIB boards. Before undergoing device testing, this boards are required to have active components with high temperature.
Venture suggests our BIB boards for it is useful in bearing burn-in tests. The Venture BIB boards have ASICs installed. Venture BIB boards are also useful in terms of fixing specific parts in them. This BIB board of Venture has 2-22 and more layers of polyamide. BIB boards operate at a maximum temperature of 200°C. We account and avail all styles of BIB boards.
Venture BIB boards are a very common component in terms of testing PCBs manufacturing. Venture recommends this type of boards for it is tested and proven in helping ensure the PCBs quality and its functions. Venture is privileged to supply your heightened business by our effective BIB boards.
Venture formed expert working teams for the assistance of every stage of processing. We made our company open anytime you need high-quality and reliable PCBs components such as BIB boards. You would be no worries in service conditions when you prefer Venture as your partner supplier.
Contact us for more details about BIB boards!
BIB Board-The Ultimate FAQ Guide
The BIB board is a concept that arouses questions in the mind of several people. The good news is, this guide will provide the answers you need.
Sit tight, and follow through as this article brings great enlightenment to you.
- What Is A BIB Board?
- What Is The Burn-In Process In Terms Of A BIB Board?
- How Can BIB Boards Save You A Lot Of Money?
- What Are The Features Of A BIB Board?
- What Is A Burn-In Socket As Related To A BIB Board?
- When Is Burn-In Most Appropriate For A BIB Board?
- How To Perform The Burn-In Process Using The BIB Board?
- What Is Failure Rate As Related To A BIB Board?
- How Does The Bathtub Curve Relates With The BIB Board?
- Why Is The BIB Board Necessary?
- What Challenges Do People Face With BIB Board Testing?
- What Are The Materials Suitable For A BIB Board?
- What Are The Guidelines For A BIB Board Design?
- What Is The Burn-In Period In Terms OF A BIB Board?
- What Are The Applications Of A BIB Board?
- What Are The Environmental Testing Conditions Needed For A BIB Board?
- How TO Clean BIB Boards?
- What Is A BIB Board Tester?
- What Are The Requirements Of The BIB Board?
What Is A BIB Board?
The first thing to note is that BIB is an acronym meaning Burn-In Board. The BIB board is a printed circuit board(PCB)that performs as a jig during the Burn-in process.
They gain relevance in ASIC reliability testing, which detects failures in components.
What Is The Burn-In Process In Terms Of A BIB Board?
A Burn-In process is a form of test on electrical components before use to ensure reliability by detecting early failures.
The burn-In process detects failures of electrical components or semiconductors before they leave the manufacturing plant.
The failures may result from component design, manufacturing processes, and materials problems.
You can carry out the Burn-in process by applying a power supply through the components at an increased temperature.
The application of the power supply should stay continuous for several hours.
How Can BIB Boards Save You A Lot Of Money?
Quality testing is a concept that thrives in the electronics world.
Your reputation and profitability depend on how satisfied your user are with your products.
Your customers are satisfied when there are no failures with your product. So it is wise to perform a burn-in test to check the product reliability.
The BIB board helps you perform the burn-in test, and you can discover failures before the product gets into the market.
What Are The Features Of A BIB Board?
The following are the features of a standard Burn-in board
- It has a conductor width of about 0.075mm
- Its layers vary from 4 -22 mm
- It has a surface treatment of electroless gold plating and gold fingers of 1.3 micrometers
- It possesses a minimum thickness ranging from 0.3 -2.4 mm
- It has a conductor space of 0.075mm
- It includes a hole diameter of 0.15mm
- It has a pitch of 0.4mm
- Its base materials include; BT-Resin, polyimide, FR-4, and FR-4 High Tg.
- It has a maximum service temperature of 200 degrees
- It has sockets designs that include; LGA, BGA, micro BGA, DIP, PGA, SOJ, TSOP, PLCC, or QFP. Other custom designs apply.
- Tin-lead soldering
What Is A Burn-In Socket As Related To A BIB Board?
A burn-in socket is an electromechanical device that gives an insertable interface between the ASIC and the burn-in board.
The “ASIC” stands for Application-Specific Integrated circuit.
Burn-In Socket Mounted On BIB Board
The Burn-in socket must be able to provide sufficient electrical load. They should also accommodate the application-specific integrated circuit perfectly.
Finally, burn-in sockets must resist high temperatures during burn-in tests.
When Is Burn-In Most Appropriate For A BIB Board?
The Burn-in should happen before the board leaves the manufacturer’s environment. The burn-in process aims to discover the system’s failures at an early stage.
Hence it is appropriate that the board goes through the process before getting into the market or consumers.
How To Perform The Burn-In Process Using The BIB Board?
- The first action is to place the electrical component or semiconductor device in the BIB board.
- Next, Place the BIB board in the Burn-in chamber for the test.
The Burn-in chamber is a system (like an oven) that can assess the reliability of semiconductor devices. Its size is dependent on the BIB board’s size and is suitable for dynamic and static burn-in of integrated circuits.
What Is Failure Rate As Related To A BIB Board?
The failure rate falls into the concept of the Burn-in process using a BIB board. It is the frequency at which the semiconductor devices or components fail during the test.
The failure rate is dependent on time.
How Does The Bathtub Curve Relates With The BIB Board?
The bathtub curve and BIB board are not the same entity, but they play a part in the Burn-in process.
The BIB performs the function of Jig in the process. In contrast, the bathtub curve explains the failure rate or lifespan of the semiconductor device plugged into the BIB board.
Curva de banheira
The beginning part of the curve illustrates the failures at the early stages of the components. The burn-in process exposes the early failures.
Note that the burn-in process does not account for useful life or wear out at the end of the curve.
Why Is The BIB Board Necessary?
Without the BIB board, it becomes challenging to perform the burn-in process. The burn-in gives a principal benefit of detecting component failures at the early stage of product life.
Hence, it is valid to say that the BIB board shares in the burn-in process’s benefits.
What Challenges Do People Face With BIB Board Testing?
It is a fact that issues with the BIB board will adversely affect the result of the Burn-in test. Hence the BIB board undergoes its test.
But some challenges occur during the test, and they include;
Time-consuming Resulting In Poor Yield:
During BIB board testing, the engineer plugs in a connection test head into each integrated circuit socket. The connection happens to each IC at a time.
The test heads are usually not fixed; hence, the contact tends to fluctuate as the engineer moves during testing.
As a result, there is a poor yield of the test result. Also, the engineer’s movement and the number of integrated circuits make it time-consuming.
The BIB board testing involves several tasks, which include
- Placement check of the integrated circuit
- Investigating short circuits in the connectors and other components
- The search for broken wires
- The Check on the state of the resistors, coils, capacitors, and diodes
- Pin contact testing
Due to the numerous tasks, the tester tends to miss out on some test parts.
Variable Test Result
The test points on the BIB board are numerous, making it difficult for one person to perform the test.
As a result, the results may vary because of several individuals working on the same board.
What Are The Materials Suitable For A BIB Board?
You can use the following materials to make up a BIB board.
Poliimida comprises of imide monomers. The polyimide is a good choice of material for BIB boards since it has the following characteristics
- Alta estabilidade térmica
- Quality flexibility
- Very resistant to chemicals
- Boa resistência à tracção
- Boa durabilidade
High temperature does not weaken the bond strength of polyimides
They are a product of FR-4 epoxy resins under a high-performance temperature of 180ᵒC.
370HR find good relevance in PCB board applications that require reliability and maximum thermal performance.
BT is an abbreviation of Bismaleimide-Triazine resin. They are a mixture of epoxy resins and have good application in PCB boards and BIB boards.
BT epoxy poses to be a good BIB material because of the following properties.
- Constante dielétrica baixa
- It possesses a very high glass transition temperature of about 300ᵒC
It is an upgraded epoxy resin with high signal speed, good thermal properties, and low signal loss.
When the board requires high impedance control and signal quality, the Nelco 4000-13 é uma boa opção.
IS410 is an upgrade of the FR-4 epoxy laminate and prepreg system. It is one of the leading materials for boards with lead-free solder and high reliability.
What Are The Guidelines For A BIB Board Design?
How you design the BIB board enhances the quality of results. Here is a simple guideline to follow
Layout de circuito
On each perimeter of the PC board, ensure a circuit-free zone of 0.5inches. In addition, preserve the edge finger area to boost the sharpness of the layout and ease manufacturability.
Add a spacing for framing.
There should be a minimum of 0.010 inches line spaces for differentials of less than 50 volts on a standard.
- Due to manufacturing issues, you should avoid holes diameter below 0.031inches.
- It would help if you prevented numerous drill bit changes by reducing the number of different holes.
- The hole diameter ratio to board thickness should be a maximum of 1:3.
- For quality soldering and quick component loading, let the plated thru holes be 0.010 inches diagonal of the sockets
Pad Areas Around Plated Thru-holes
Your design should have at least 50% padded area around the plated thru-holes to have good solder joints.
Distribuição de poder
- Ensure you bus the voltage and ground buses at the top and bottom of every device on the BIB board.
- You can reduce the effective inductance of the system by providing several paths through the array.
- The traces that run the power supply voltage should be very wide within the array
For local decoupling, use a 0.1 microfarad capacitor per DUT to overcome high frequencies that affect the voltage spikes.
Place the local decoupling capacitor close to each chip.
For bulk coupling, use a capacitor range of 46-200 microfarads to enable low-frequency coupling.
Other guidelines include;
- For multilayer design, reduce the use of vias to boost circuit performance
- Use conformal coating for board areas that need high insulation, or have high humidity and atmospheric contaminants.
- Use wires whose sizes are bigger than the standards to facilitate safety
What Is The Burn-In Period In Terms OF A BIB Board?
The burn-in period is the time taken to carry out the burn-in process or test.
What Are The Applications Of A BIB Board?
The BIB board is primarily a tool to hold semiconductor devices or electrical components in place as they undergo the burn-in process.
The burn-in process, therefore, finds its application in the following areas;
- Generation and transmission of electricity
- Building reliability systems
Digging deeper into the application of the BIB board, you will find the following;
- Substrate dicing
- Instrumentation control
- Electronic layer characterization
- Electrical test under needles
- Packaged device testing
What Are The Environmental Testing Conditions Needed For A BIB Board?
The following are the environmental test a BIB board can undergo.
High-Temperature Operating Life (HTOL)
The HTOL is a reliability test on semiconductor devices and integrated circuits. The test is to establish the intrinsic reliability of the devices.
The HTOL test involves subjecting the ICs to high temperature and voltage for a given time to see inherent failures.
Highly Accelerated Temperature And Humidity Stress (HAST)
The HAST is a combination of high humidity and high temperature to determine the reliability of an electrical component.
The test accelerates the temperature and stress on the component with or without electrical bias. Hence there is the Bias High Temperature and Humidity Stress (BHAST) and the standard HAST test.
Low-Temperature Operating Life (LTOL)
The LTOL is the low-temperature replica of the HTOL.
The Low-temperature operating life test applies low temperature to electrical components to determine reliability at a given time.
The temperature of the LOTL test does not exceed 40ᵒC.
How TO Clean BIB Boards?
There are two methods recommended to clean a BIB board effectively. They are ;
- Ultrasonic method
- Spray-rinse method
The method uses the ultrasonic cleaning machine to clean the BIB board.
The following are the things you will need to clean a BIB board using the ultrasonic method.
- An ultrasonic cleaning machine big enough to contain the BIB board
- A bristle brush that has high density to provide abrasion that will wipe away contaminants from the BIB board
- Protective apparatus such as apron, rubber gloves, and a face shield
- An aqueous cleaning solution, for example, omega aqua clean LPH
The cleaning procedure includes
- Add the solution to the cleaning machine. Ensure you de-gas the solution and wait till it reaches the circulating pump temperature; usually, 50ᵒC.
- Use a brush to clean the dry board and the DUT sockets. Ensure you clean with care to avoid damaging the board
- Immerse the board in the ultrasonic cleaner and allow it to run for five minutes. The 40KHz is a good operating frequency for the ultrasonic tank cleaner.
- After the cleaning machine runs for five minutes, take out the board and clean again with a brush.
- After cleaning with the brush, place the board back in the ultrasonic cleaning machine and run for an extra two minutes.
- Rinse with de-ionized water.
- Please take out the board and allow it to dry completely before use.
You will use a spray-rinse cleaning machine to clean the BIB board.
The material you will need for this method include;
- A spray-rinse machine that can contain the BIB board
- A bristle brush
- An aqueous cleaning agent such as Armakleen E-2001P
- Equipamentos de proteção
Here are the cleaning procedures;
- Clean the dry board with a bristle brush to wipe off adhered contamination. Also, clean the sockets.
- Place the boards in vertical racks in the spray-rinse cleaning machine.
- Let the machine spray wash for 20 minutes.
- Then set the machine to spray-rinse. The action is usually a five-cycle operation where the de-ionized water is extracted from the board.
- Apply a heated air dry on the board, which should last for 20 minutes
- Please take out the board from the machine and allow it to air dry completely
What Is A BIB Board Tester?
The BIB board tester is a device or system that technicians use to assess the burn-in board thoroughly.
The test is necessary to ensure the BIB board is fit for use in the burn-in process.
BIB Board Tester
What Are The Requirements Of The BIB Board?
You should note the following requirements of a BIB board.
- It should not have abnormal distortion at a high temperature of 150ᵒC, usually for long.
- Mark the trace current in the schematic design when higher than 500mA.
- Mark sensitive ports that need special treatments, such as shielding.
- Each chip power supply should be separated and connected to the mains using a resistor. The action is to prevent chip power from making other chips fail
- Its PCB circuit should not have an open or short circuit as a result of the high-temperature environment
- Indicate if the paving, digital circuit, and analog circuit needs dividing
- The crystal oscillator circuit must have a correlating capacitance value
- If you want to provide an external source of signal, you have to indicate the driving capability of the source.
For any questions or inquiry about BIB boards, entre em contato com a Venture Electronics agora.