What is Arlon 85n?
Arlon 85N is a polyimide and lamination prepreg system for PWBs that require high temperature resistance in the process and end application. With a high glass transition temperature of 250 degrees, it provides excellent heat resistance for high temperature terminal electronics.
Combined with high temperature stability and a pure resin formulation, Arlon 85N is a sheet that requires high stability in aerospace, military equipment and other industries. Complies with IPC-4101/40 and IPC-4101/41 requirements.
As we already know, polyimide is highly flexible, heat-resistant, lightweight, and resistant to other chemicals, making Arlon 85N sheet an excellent choice for electronic devices.
How Does Arlon 85n Compare to Arlon TC 600?
Arlon 85N is thermally stable and provides excellent stability. It is widely used in the commercial equipment and industrial equipment fields of the market. Ideal for use in applications that operate at high temperatures and require a long service life.
However, Arlon TC600 is a microwave material for improved thermal management, Arlon TC 600 has enhanced mechanical strength to meet the needs of applications requiring laminates with higher dielectric constants for the manufacture of microwave printed circuit boards.
Where to buy Arlon 85N PCB?
Your Best Arlon 85n PCB Supplier
If you are planning to buy Arlon 85n PCB for your project, Venture is the right direction for you, our factory has advanced equipment and high-end technology to produce PCB for customer specific.
To support your different projects, venture will produce different Arlon PCBs for you. Whatever your needs, we can always meet your requirements. Arlon materials play an important role in the manufacture or production of Arlon PCBs.
If you’re designing an Arlon printed circuit board, pay attention to the types of Arlon materials, design rules, and understand the production process, Venture will be the best Arlon PCB manufacturer you’ll ever find.
Venture takes advantage of high technology and advanced tools in manufacturing our Arlon 85n. Through the help of our expert engineers and designers, we are able to produce the highest-quality Arlon 85n that can provide you the following features:
- Lead-free processing compatibility
- Halogen-free chemistry
- 407°C decomposition temperature
- Expansão baixa do eixo z
- Best-in-class thermal properties polyimide
Your Leading Arlon 85n Supplier in China
Venture manufactures Arlon 85n that is a polyimide prepreg and laminate. Our Arlon 85n is the best choice for PWBs that needs resistance to a high temperature. These are best for end-use and process applications.
Our Arlon 85n is designed with bromine-free chemistry. Therefore, it can offer best-in-class thermal stability, especially for applications that require sustaining high in-use temperature and lead-free soldering applications.
We manufacture Arlon 85n that is equipped with 1.2% low z-axis expansion. Because of that, it can provide an excellent PTH reliability through in-service and process.
The low z-axis expansion of our Arlon 85n can also reduce the risk of any latent PTH defects that is caused during the device attachment and solder reflow.
For a high-performance epoxy, we designed Arlon 85n with 407°C decomposition temperature while providing an outstanding high-temperature long-term performance.
Other than that, our Arlon 85n is equipped with mechanical and electrical properties that meet the IPC-4101/40 and /41 requirements and specifications. It is also manufactured according to RoHS standards.
Venture Arlon 85n is best for applications like:
- Aircraft engine instrumentation
- Down-hole drilling
- Under-hood automotive controls
- Placas de queima
- Industrial sensors
If you are a maker, distributor, product designer, system integrator, or electrical engineer searching for a premium quality Arlon 85n, you can always trust Venture as your supplier!
For over 10 years, Venture became of the best Arlon 85n solution providers in China. Therefore, Venture can always support your business or projects.
As a professional, Venture offers unparalleled customer services for customers like you. We offer Arlon 85n with competitive prices and flexible payment terms without MOQ.
Venture offers an excellent delivery conditions with the best speed, price, and possibilities. Indeed, Venture can provide you total solution for your Arlon 85n needs!
Send inquiries for your next Arlon 85n orders!
Arlon 85N: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
This guide answers all questions you have been asking about Arlon 85N Material PCB.
It covers everything including features, product specification, benefits, limitations and fabrication guidelines, just to mention a few.
Continue lendo para aprender mais.
- What are the Features of Arlon 85N?
- What is the Product Specification of Arlon 85N Laminate?
- Why use Arlon 85N?
- What are the Limitations of Arlon 85N?
- What are the Benefits of Arlon 85N?
- What are the Applications of Arlon 85N?
- What Grades of Arlon 85N are there?
- How does Arlon TC350 compare to Arlon 85n?
- What are the Fabrication Guidelines for Arlon 85N?
- Can you use Arlon 85N for High-Performance Applications?
- How Does Arlon 85N Compare to Arlon 85NT?
- What Is the Use of Ceramic Fillers in Arlon 85N Laminate?
- Is Arlon 85N RoHS Compliant?
- What Factors Determine the Cost of Arlon 85N Material?
What are the Features of Arlon 85N?
Material PCB Arlon
Arlon 85N is quality and ultimate laminate, pure polyimide, and prepreg materials.
You can use it for fabrication of top quality PCBs.
Such PCBs are ideal for use in temperature resistance applications.
Consequently, you will use Arlon 85N material either in end-use or process applications.
Arlon 85 material has the following features:
- Excellent thermal performance. The polyamide material has a transitional temperature greater than 250C and a decomposition temperature exceeding 400c.
- Superior mechanical and electrical properties that conform to the requirements of IPC-4101/40 and /41.
- The Z-axis expansion is low, about 1.2% for between 50 to 260C.
- Has a non-halogenated chemistry
- Compliant to the requirements of WEEE/RoHS
- Possess a toughened, Non-MDA chemistry resin that has a high resistance to cracking when drilling
- The low z-axis expansion enables efficient SMT device attachment without risk of failure of solder joints because of CTE mismatch
- The product has random fiber reinforcements that enhance the product’s dimensional stability and reduced mis-migration.
What is the Product Specification of Arlon 85N Laminate?
The typical Arlon 85N product properties can be subdivided into four main categories. They are as follows:
i. Electrical Properties
The electrical properties of Arlon 85N are as follows:
- A dielectric constant of 4.2 and 4.0 at 1MHz AND 1 GHz, respectively.
- The dissipation factor is 0.01 at 1MHz.
- The volume resistivity C96/35/90 is 1.5 × 108 MΩ-cm while volume resistivity E24/125 is 3.0 × 1010 MΩ-cm.
- Both Surface resistivity C96/35/90 and E24/125 is6 × 109 MΩ
- The electrical strength is 57.1 kV/mm
- The dielectric breakdown is more than 40 kV.
- An Arc resistance of 143 seconds
ii. Thermal Properties
Arlon 85N has a best in class thermal properties. They include:
- The glass transition temperature that is equal to or greater than 250C
- The decomposition temperature of 387C.
- Arlon 85N laminate losses 5% of its original weight at 407C.
- T260, T288, and T300 are all greater than 60 minutes
- The coefficient of thermal expansion along the X, Y plane is 16 ppm/C.
- The coefficient of thermal expansion along the Z-axis below the transition temperature is 55 ppm/C and above the transition temperature is 149 ppm/C.
- The expansion along the Z-axis plan is 1.2% between 5 and 260C.
iii. Mechanical Properties
The following are the mechanical properties of Arlon 85N laminate:
- The peel strength to copper (1 oz/35 micron) after thermal stress, at elevated temperatures, and after process solutions are all 6.4 lb/in or 1.1 N/mm.
- The young’s modulus CD/MD is 3.6/4.1 Mpsi or 24.8/28.2 GPA
- It also has a Poisson’s Ratio along x, y of 0.15
- The modulus of elasticity is 22.1 GPa
- The tensile strength CD/MD is 48/64 psi or 330/440 Mpa
iv. Physical Properties
The material has the following physical properties:
- A density of 1.6 g/cm3
- The water absorption (0.062”) is 0.27%
- The thermal conductivity is 0.2 W/mk
- The flammability rating according to UL-94 classification is HB
Why use Arlon 85N?
Arlon 85N offers the best in class thermal reliability for electronic end-use products that operate in a high-temperature environment.
This product has a high glass transitional temperature, which is 250C.
This makes it the ideal material for use in high layer count multilayer PCB with extended service life.
What are the Limitations of Arlon 85N?
Arlon 85N is a pure polyimide resin laminate and as such possess the following limitations associated with polyimides:
- It has a higher processing cost compared to other types of standard Laminados de PCB and prepreg systems.
- You need higher temperatures for processing
- Some operations such as annealing require specified operating processes at specified temperatures.
- Polyimides are extremely sensitive to alkali and acid hydrolysis
What are the Benefits of Arlon 85N?
Arlon 85N laminate possesses the following benefits thanks to its outstanding features:
- Ideal for use in applications operating at elevated temperatures and requiring long service life.
- Reduces cure time by up to 50% or more compared to other competitive products
- Has lower immigration as a result of random fiber reinforcement
- Compatível com técnicas de processamento sem chumbo
- Low product shrinkage
- Fácil de processar
- Support efficient SMT attachment
- Less sensitive to variations in routing and drilling
- Produces high quality through holes
- Ecologicamente correto
- Safe to handle as a result of RoHS compliance.
- You can easily use and service the Arlon 85N PCBs under extreme temperatures.
- Easy to repair under harsh operating conditions
- The PTH failure, board degradation, and delamination are relatively lower compared to standard FR-4 and other high-performance PCB materials.
What are the Applications of Arlon 85N?
You should use Arlon 85N polyamide laminate to fabricate thermally stable PCBs that will continuously operate under high temperatures.
The high transition temperature of the material makes it ideal for fabricating PCBs to withstand high-temperature processing techniques such as HASL, IR, lead-free soldering, or reflow.
You can consider using PCBs fabricated using Arlon 85N laminate on the following applications that require longer service time at high temperatures.
- Aircraft engine instrumentation
- Under-hood automotive controls
- Downhole drilling
- Industrial sensors
- Placas de queima
- Arlon 85N is also suitable for fabricating PCBs for high end commercial and military applications. These PCBs are usually highly reliable, serviceable under extreme temperature, and easy to repair under adverse conditions.
What Grades of Arlon 85N are there?
Arlon 85N pure polyimide laminate is available in diverse product grades.
Some of the Arlon part numbers and corresponding properties include:
Arlon part number Glass style Percentage resin Scaled Flow Hf (mils) Scaled Flow∆ (mils)
85N0672 106 72 1.7 ± 0.3 0.75 ± 0.20
85N8063 1080 63 2.4 ± 0.3 0.75 ± 0.20
85N2650 2116 50 4.1 ± 0.3 0.75 ± 0.20
85N2355 2313 55 3.4 ± 0.3 0.75 ± 0.20
85N2840 7628 40 6.6 ± 0.3 0.70 ± 0.20
How does Arlon TC350 compare to Arlon 85n?
The main differences between Arlon 85N and Arlon TC 350 lie in the material of construction.
enquanto que Arlon 85N constitute pure polyimide resins, Arlon TC 350 is composed of woven fiberglass reinforced, PTFT based composite that is filled with ceramics.
Consequently, these two products also differ in product properties.
Arlon 85N has superior heat tolerance while Arlon TC350 has better thermal conductivity properties.
Both materials have outstanding dimensional stability and low Z-axis CTE.
Similarly, they also have superior component attachment reliability and ease of drilling.
Other electrical and thermal properties slightly vary though.
For instance, the dielectric constant of Arlon 85N at 1GHz is 4.0 while that of Aron TC 350 is 3.5 at 10GHz.
More importantly, Arlon TC 350 material is more suited for high-frequency applications compared to Arlon 85N.
What are the Fabrication Guidelines for Arlon 85N?
Fabricação de PCB
You should use the following process conditions when fabricating PCB made from Arlon 85N laminate.
- You should use standard industry practices when processing inner-layers, that is, develop, etch, and strip.
- Apply brown oxides on inner layers
- Ensure uniform coating by adjusting dwell time in the oxide bath
- Subject the inner layer to temperatures between 107°C to 121°C for 60 seconds in a rack when baking. You should do this immediately before lay-up.
- You should desiccate the prepreg in a vacuum for 8 to 12 hours before lamination
- When conducting lamination, please observe the following operational recommendations:
- Perform pre-vacuum for between 30 to 45 minutes
- Ensure that you set the heat rise to between 4°C and 6°C per minute for temperatures between 65°C to 121°C.
- The process temperature at the initiation of cure should be 218°C.
- Cure time at temperature should equalize two hours, depending on the stack height and copper quantity.
- Use a controlled pressurized cooling system at ≤ 6°C/min
- Maintain a drill speed between 400 to 500 SFM. You can use undercut bits for vias less than or equal to 0.045cm.
- Use alkaline permanganate or plasma that has been set appropriately for polyimide. However, plasma deliver better results for positive etchback
- You can use standard conventional plating processes for Arlon 85N since they are compatible.
- Avoid using chip breaker style router bits. Other parameters for profiling will work well.
- Subject the material to 121°C for 1 to 2 hours for baking just before soldering to reflow of HASL
Can you use Arlon 85N for High-Performance Applications?
Yes, Arlon 85N laminate is a pure polyimide resin system ideal for high-performance applications for use in high-temperature end-use products.
Specifically, Arlon 85N laminates possess a low Z-direction expansion that has undergone enhancement to improve interlaminar bonds.
Circuit boards fabricated using this material will deliver reliable performance in high end commercial and military PCB programs.
Arlon 85N laminate has superior thermal stability and easy to service and repair at the extreme of temperatures and harsh field conditions.
Arlon 85N materials are also tougher than conventional polyimides with excellent resistance to routing and drilling variations.
It has undergone through demanding SPC and superior quality control processes which ensures that it fully qualifies the requirements of IPC-4101/41
Furthermore, it has no MDA or any other potentially carcinogenic elements.
How Does Arlon 85N Compare to Arlon 85NT?
Arlon 85NT is a pure polyimide laminate that has been reinforced using a non-woven aramid substrate.
On the other hand, Arlon 85N pure polyimide laminate does not have any reinforcement whatsoever.
As such, Arlon 85NT laminate belongs to the class of Arlon materials with controlled thermal expansion.
In addition to the enhanced temperature stability and improved PTH reliability offered by Arlon 85N laminate and prepreg system, Arlon 85NT provides the following benefits.
- The aramid reinforcement improves the product’s dimensional stability which also enhances its registration for use in improved multilayer yields.
- a low in-plane (X, Y) expansion. The coefficient of thermal expansion ranges between 7-9 ppm/C, which allows for the attachment of SMT devices without risking the solder joints.
- Arlon 85NT has a decomposition temperature of 426C, which is higher than that of Arlon 85N which is 407C. The higher Td gives it superior high-temperature processing stability.
- Aramid reinforced Arlon 85NT is lighter in weight compared to the pure polyimide Arlon 85N
- Arlon 85NT has a higher water absorption percentage of 0.60% compared to Arlon’s 85N water absorption of 0.27%.
- Similarly, Arlon 85NT has a higher percentage of Z-axis expansion (2.3%) compared to Arlon 85N which is 1.2%.
What Is the Use of Ceramic Fillers in Arlon 85N Laminate?
Arlon 85N is composed of a pure polyimide resins system even though you can add 30% or more ceramic filler content to create Arlon 84N.
The addition of ceramic filler enhances the material’s resistance to crack formation and shrinkage in filled clearance areas during drilling.
Is Arlon 85N RoHS Compliant?
Yes, Arlon 85N is RoHS compliant. Arlon 85N meets the requirements of the European Union’s Directive 2002/95/EC.
A more recent directive, RoHS 3 (European Union Directive 2015/863) was described in 2015 and became operational in July 2019.
It added four more elements to the initial list of six.
The RoHS compliant PCBs are sometimes referred to as lead-free PCBs because the directives are concentrated around lead and poly-brominates.
The directive restricts the use of selected hazardous materials in fabricating PCBs for use in electrical and electronic equipment.
Consequently, Arlon 85N PCBs does not exceed the limits allowed for the following elements:
Elements Permissible values (parts per million)
- Lead <1000 ppm
- Cadmium <100 ppm
- Mercury <1000 ppm
- Polybrominated biphenyls <1000 ppm
- Cromo hexavalente <1000 ppm
- Polybrominated diphenyl ether <1000 ppm
- Di-isobutyl phthalate <1000 ppm
- Dibutil ftalato <1000 ppm
- Butyl benzyl phthalate <1000 ppm
- Bis (2-ethylhexyl)- phthalate <1000 ppm
These directives help protect the environment because the products operating the PCBs will end up in landfills and other reclamation processes.
The directive also protects workers who produce the PCBs from occupational exposure to these carcinogenic elements.
What Factors Determine the Cost of Arlon 85N Material?
The cost of Arlon 85N material depends on numerous factors.
Alguns desses fatores incluem:
- The size of the laminate panel
- The quantity of laminate
- The number of laminates required
- The type of surface finishing used
- Methods of inspection
- Soldering methods
- Quality of the pleated through-holes
- Especificações únicas ou personalizadas
- Custo do frete
- Cost of lead-free processing methods
Na Venture Electronics, oferecemos uma variedade de Arlon PCB Materials depending on your specific requirements.
Contacte-nos agora for all your Arlon 85N PCB needs.